Saturday, March 31, 2012

Assignment #3

This assignment was really frustrating for me and I am really embarrassed to be showing this to you!
I used dried up acrylic from my pallet and cut it up into pieces to make the face and neck, feathers to make the texture on the right and to put on the person's head and on the bottom right, and I tore out pages from a book, as seen on the left. I learned that medium that is new to you can be very difficult to make it do what you want it to do. I had a really hard time creating an expression on the person's face, and if I messed up, I couldn't go over it--I had to either keep going or completely change it! At first I had fun, I tried not to hesitate but as I kept going, I saw that I could not be as "spontaneous" in working as I am with acrylic paint: I learned that you have to plan more ahead for collages because the layers are more permanent. It was hard to control the layers and paint and as I kept going nothing turned out how I wanted it to. I tried to make it look like a more abstract piece but I personally think it looks like a 5 year old did it. BUT it is something I would like to keep experimenting with, but I would start out practising with simpler mediums.
(Also I experimented with another piece but it fell apart before I took the picture... it turns out that I really need to do a lot more experimenting!!)
Oh! Also, I was inspired by Dr. Seuess's quote: "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living. It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." 
-Dr. Seuss"

1 comment:

  1. Great quote! Somehow I think it is perfect for you and your work! I'm so happy that you tried something outside of your comfort zone. I realize it can frustrating but hopefully you found something you enjoyed in the process? Now that you've done it, what would you do in the future? Would you try watercolor instead of acrylic? I admire the fact that you stuck with it and chose to use some many materials. Now step back from it and pick out the places that work and think about how you could recreate that again when you want to. Perhaps you'll create a piece in the future that uses a little texture, or feathers! Your observation about mistakes is an interesting one and very true, but that is what is so great about working in mixed media. Think of it as another outlet... a whole different way of working. Because you can't "fix" your mistakes, maybe it forces you to react to each mark and problem solve as you go, instead of executing exactly what you're planning. I agree that this isn't your strongest piece :) but I think it could be a great jumping off point for experiments in your sketchbook. Eventually you might find as you work, and play around with layering and materials, that you'll start to incorporate things you've learned in those experiments into some of your larger pieces. Not every piece calls for mixed media but sometimes it can be useful in getting an idea across. For instance, something I love about Rauschenberg's work is that there is a sense of history, or at times nostalgia, that is created by collaging objects into his work.

    Now... looking at your piece. Is there an area that you find most successful? Personally, I enjoy the right side and think you created some really interesting layers and textures. Do you see the depth you've created? Did you use the feathers to make marks as well? It looks like you did, I like how the marks mimic the feathers themselves. The feather on the right really works. You covered it enough for it to work within the piece, and not stick out, but then left it uncovered enough to show that it is still a feather. It's moments like those that you should look at and think about what you've created and why it's visually interesting and what works about it. The limited palette also works well on the right side. Because you have used so much texture and created so many marks, you don't need as much color or imagery. The yellows and oranges work so well against the white, gray and blue! Look at the Rauschenberg piece just below this post... he uses a lot of color but in small areas, most of the piece is actually white and tan... it creates space to breathe.

    Lastly, just because mixing media isn't as easy to plan, doesn't mean it doesn't have organization. Although at first glance some of Rauschenberg's work looks chaotic, there is actually consideration of space and composition with each mark.

    Great job! I hope it inspires some experimenting to come!! Keep going with it in your sketchbook when you feel inspired. And bring it along when you have college interviews... we love to see students exploring different media.

    ReplyDelete