Saturday, March 24, 2012

Module #2

This is my still life portrait! The camera represents that I LOVE taking pictures and capturing things, places and people in a certain moments. I can't go anywhere without my camera. The stuffed animal horse is basically sums up my childhood--my sister and I had two stuffed animals Nuts (my sister's) and Bad-Horsey (mine). We created an entire world with a school system, government, economy and ways of life. The glass perfume represents the vanilla perfume I use, which probably sounds corny but I love the warm and sweet scent, and try to be warm and sweet towards others when they need help, as well. The shoe is there to show how much I love shoes and it is also a boot that I decorated (I bought fabric I liked, cut it up into strips and glued them all over). I tried to draw the actual pieces of fabric all over the shoe but it turned out really bad so I covered it! As for the paintbrush, it represents that I love to constantly paint and create and express myself through art.
I am not really sure how I feel about this one, I struggled a lot with proportions and shading. I feel like the camera doesn't quite fit with rest of the angles and looks a little flat. The shading on Bad-Horsey's face, now that I look at it, looks out of place and not well blended in. I had a really tough time with the perfume bottle; I kept messing up and it got darker and darker so it was harder to fix. I think I feel okay about the shoe; although I couldn't draw the fabric that was on it, it took me a long time to get the proportions of the shoe right before I started the final piece.  I wasn't sure if I should put a shadow behind the still life--there wasn't one there and I'm not sure if not having a shadow makes it fall flat. Also, I think I should've make the line between the objects and the clothe more distinct and darker, to give the shadows more depth.

1 comment:

  1. This is great Kelsey! Keep going with the observational work. It is something that most art schools look for and it definitely shows your drawing ability. I'm really happy to see that you took some time to set up your still life composition and think about each object to include and why to include them. Not only did you include objects that you like, but they are objects that tell the viewer about you... your sweet side with the perfume, the link to your childhood, your love of art and a unique style with the boots! Although the fabric cut-outs are not evident, I enjoyed hearing about them. And at this point, it's fine not to include surface details like the pattern of the facbric. I wanted this to be a value study and you definitely accomplished that. Your shadows are one of my favorite parts. Your light source is very evident and you were able to articulated the shadows well. They don't have hard edges, instead they look as they should as they fall against the cloth. In response to your comment about your shadows, I guess some of the shadows could be a little darker, especially right under the objects but they came out really well. The shadow under the boot is especially strong, I can tell you were really looking and drawing what you saw since the shadow closest to the underside of the boot is darkest and then gradually fades out as the toe of the boot lifts up. Once again, you did were able to capture the essence of glass with the perfume! It doesn't look too dark, you were able to bring out the highlights and I can tell the object is glass! The shadow on Bad-Horsey doesn't bother me in the nose... was it a shadow or is it just that his nose is a little darker and a little worn away? He just looks loved! The darkness gives it a sense of age, which works! You are right about the camera - I think the perspective is a little off but the shading and details are really nice so it doesn't distract from the piece. Right now the angle looks too steep. Did you move a lot when drawing it to see the details better? Sometimes changing your viewpoint can skew the perspective depending on where you were sitting. When sketching out your drawing (the perspective and placement of your objects) try to stay in the same spot and then look at how each object looks in relation to the others before starting with the shading. Sometimes just seeing objects in relation to one another really helps with perspective and proportion. You might find that once you draw one object the other one looks completely off. It takes a bit longer but the end results are worth it! Once you start with the details you can get a closer look if need be. Lastly, nice job with the cloth. Have you drawn a lot from cloth? It's a great challenge to give yourself and your shading to the left of Bad-Horsey is particularly strong. Do you see how you were able to bring out the folds in the fabric? Where your lights and darks meet it creates great contrast and really makes the folds pop out. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete