Sunday, April 8, 2012

Module #4




I really wanted to try what M.C. Escher did with reflections. The top one is the last one I did, the bottom one is the first one I did. A very specific thing I ran into was the difficulty of making a perfect circle to represent the sphere! And if it isn't a perfect circle, it ruins the contortions (like in the second one). I really enjoyed experimenting with this because it gives you a completely different point of view on the world around you--LITERALLY! I want to try more viewpoints from reflecting objects and see what happens. I also saw that having contrasting shadows and lights is VERY important, and I want to see what happens if I try to use colour. Again, I'm really sorry I misread the instructions. 

2 comments:

  1. Great series! This works as a series because it ties together visually. I'm so happy to see that you found something you were interested in drawing over and over again, and it challenged you to see things differently :) I appreciate that each drawing is a little different: one uses color and each puts the reflective ball in a different situation. However, you could push that even further. For instance, right now all of your compositions are similar, with the reflective piece almost dead center. When doing a series like this think about how you could change up the compositions, like the one where you included 3 objects! Therefore pushing yourself to make it more visually appealing as a series. It might have also been interesting to have a reflective piece be part of a larger environment (backgrounds!! :)), perhaps something you don't see at first and then as you search through the drawing you find it!

    For me, the most successful piece is the top one - a reflection inside a reflection inside a reflection - I love it! What a way to challenge yourself! I enjoy all of the details you included and it makes for a fantastic composition within the object. For that level of detail, pencil was a good choice. I'm glad you used a different material with oil pastels, but they aren't a great tool for detail. Would you agree? When choosing materials think about what characteristics they have and how they can best serve your piece of art.

    Overall it's a great series and I would encourage you to keep going if it's something that compels you. I keep looking at the top drawing - the perspective and exaggeration of the skull is awesome! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The oil pastel was definitely a lot harder to control and include more detail. When I used pencil, it made me look more closely and find detail to include. You're right, all of them are centered; I think with these and generally all of my art I need to find new and different compositions because most of them are face-on or centered. I am kind of afraid of to include backgrounds but I think once I get over that hump it'll make it more visually appealing.

    ReplyDelete