Thursday, March 22, 2012

Journal #2

In Art History we've learnt about how Science and Art went hand and hand, and I think this is the perfect example of how artists of that time did that. This honestly blew my mind because they knew how the anatomy fit INSIDE the body, which made them SO proportionally accurate and naturalistic/realistic. 

A lot of his work was a little STRANGE to me, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I just thought some of the proportions were strange (not that I could do any better!), like as if he went halfway realistic and then a sort of cartoon-ish style for the other half. I liked this one because it reminded me of cartoons from the 1970s and it embodied such a carefree feeling. 

I LOVED this one, because it shows how talented Leonardo di Vinci was in that he could portray emotion with just HANDS. The top one seems delicate, sensitive, because it is cupping around the person's chest/heart, and the hand does not look tense. The hand on the bottom, seems to be supporting the body position, and I can picture someone in that position if they were empathizing or something like that. I really admire that because whenever I try to sketch a hand, they always end up disproportionate and tense, even when the position is relaxed. 

I liked this one because of how simple the piece is; however it still evokes emotion such as strength forging through even the most difficult of times. The upward direction of their faces, their bodies marching forward, and their hair getting blown back gives it a physical power, I think, as well as movement. 


I also like the simplicity in this one because he managed to created an accurately proportionate male figure with very few lines.



2 comments:

  1. Great comments! I think the theme I sense is an attraction to drawings that look almost "effortless." It's as if each of these artists knew exactly what they were doing and made no hesitations when drawing. It is also something I greatly admire and aspire to myself! Something to realize is that their drawings aren't prefect but they were able to draw something powerful and beautiful enough that we as viewers don't care... or I should say it doesn't distract from the art. For instance, if you look at the knee on Da Vinci's figure at the bottom, it is quite large, but the drawing as a whole works so well and flows so nicely that it's not bothersome. Something that this bottom drawing of Da Vinci's and the Kollwitz drawing share is looseness. Remember that when you draw! Try to stay loose and let your marks flow. Try not to worry about each mark that's made, just make them. I actually think you are able to do that in your drawings already, but there's always room for more! I love Kollwitz's work because she is able to describe a person, emotion, or situation without giving us every detail. She uses light and shadow and only gives us the necessary information we need to know the narrative. And yes, just as you said, the movement!! Great observations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is! Because when I try to get proportions right, sometimes my sketches look tight and like I'm trying too hard. Most of the time (not all the time, but still most of the time), I find that when my sketches are looser and I don't focus so much on doing it "right" but just trying to get the basic form, they look for accurate.
    That's true about the knee, I hadn't even noticed that!

    ReplyDelete