Thursday, March 29, 2012

Journal #3

I really liked this one because I liked the fact that there is a recognizable setting, even if it is vague. (At least to me, I recognize the red circle as a sun) I think it's cool that it is the ARTIST'S take on a place, and the emotion I get from it, is lovely but PECULIAR--the "sun" offers a very bright and "certain" object with colour to take in and there is a splatter of black lines and an assortment of bright colours that I think many people could identify as many different things (I picture it as a bunch of colourfully clothed people). In contrast to those bright colours, there is white and tan colours that seem kind of dull compared to it. The mixed media, such as the wood, paint and nails (I think), come together to not necessarily to create something that makes sense right away, but that pulls a sort of thoughtfulness from the audience (if that makes any sense!)

This one caught my eye because I saw silhouettes of people, faces, and more recognizable things (the horse and cat). I like the contrast that is created with only the use of black and white; the white makes it look like it's on a projector and light is going through it. I wonder how big it is!

I like this one for the same reasons as the one above it, but also because it is 3-D. I like the ideas were first created onto each separate slide and then put together to create an entire piece, if looked at at a certain perspective.


I picked these two, because I found a sort of pattern with the colours and how they associated with my reaction to the pieces and the "story" I kind of made up in my head when I saw them. The use of green-ish yellow tints gave me kind of this eery feeling. For example, one of my first thoughts when I saw the one of top was, "Ooh are they having an affair?"

As for these two pieces, I felt like the blue tone gave it not a necessarily "sad" mood but a very thoughtful, reflective, or pensive feeling. I knew colours had an impact on the feeling of the painting, but I had never really thought about so much! I think in most cases, if a certain colour is focused on, then the stronger the emotion is portrayed.



1 comment:

  1. Isn't it great to think about it?? I'm so happy that looking at Hopper's colors had such an effect on you. It's amazing what color can do! Would you ever consider using one of these color palettes in a piece of yours? It's a great way to learn about color and how it can affect the mood of your pieces!

    ReplyDelete