Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Native American Charcoal

I did this one because I had done paintings of faces head on, but I wanted to try it in charcoal. However, I used two pictures (on the left) to refer to, so I don't think I can use it. I've been practising drawing faces from life (my face, and friends and family) so I can get better and use them in my portfolio. But I have to say, I really really enjoyed doing this one, I really had to study every single detail. Also, my dad knows a Native American and he said he is willing to sit down and let me try to draw him! I'm really excited and I hope I'll be able to do it.

3 comments:

  1. Once again - great values! I actually think this piece could be used in a portfolio. Yes, you used photographic references, but you combined two different ones to create your own portrait. If you are going to use photo references that's exactly how to approach it. The areas where you brought out a single strand of hair here and there are great to show texture. In the future, think about trying to step outside of your comfort zone with charcoal by using more line and creating more texture. Have you tried that before? The shadows within the face are great, you were able to capture the details of his face and wrinkled skin without the details overpowering the portrait. Nice balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The values in this are amazing! I agree that you should use this in your portfolio. Even by combining the two pieces together you were able to make it look like one person.I love all of the shadows on the skin, it really makes the rest of the body stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Benson: Thank you so much! I'm so relieved that I can use it! I have not tried it before but now I definitely will!
    Alecia: Thank you! I appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete